Those of you who follow my blog know that I’ve struggled with various health issues this year. Despite that, I’m leaving next week to attend the Romance Writers of America (RWA) Annual Conference, which is meeting in San Diego, California, this year.
(Blame my stubborn determination to stick to my every-other-year attendance schedule and the fact that I had to register months ago—when I was more optimistic for quick medical solutions. *shrug*)
Yep, I’ll be there in foot/ankle braces (for nerve and tendon issues) and recovering from my recent jaw surgery (which makes eating a trick), complete with a case of hives, as I discovered yet another allergic reaction to the medication from my surgery two weeks ago. *sigh* Fun, fun.
Actually, I hope the conference experience will be fun, as this time (my fourth RWA National) will also be my first book signing as a published author. Woo hoo!
In addition, I’ve been invited to three awards ceremonies, for the various contests that Treasured Claim and Ironclad Devotion were named as finalists (Booksellers’ Best, National Reader’s Choice, and the PRISM awards). *fingers crossed* Plus, I get to tag along to the VIP table with Angela Quarles (my roomie and writing bestie) for her RITA Award finalist experience. Squee!
Now I just have to get through my usual I’m-an-introvert, pre-conference freak-out panic attack. Wish me luck. *grin*
Going to RWA16? Let Me Know!
If you’re going to the RWA conference, let me know so we can meet up. Putting faces to names is one of the best things about in-person conferences.
And if you’re registered for the conference and interested in coming to my book signing, I’ll be at the Indie Book Signing from 3:00-4:30 pm on Thursday, July 14 in the Marriott Grand Ballroom 1-2. I’ll be signing copies of Treasured Claim and giving away goodies.
(Due to my health, I’ve been forced to cut back on commitments during the conference, so unfortunately, I had to drop out of the Readers for Life Literacy Autographing event. However, if you’re in the San Diego area, that literacy fundraising book signing (with hundreds of authors) is open to the public and free of charge:
Wednesday, July 13
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina)
I am looking forward to the fun aspects of the conference, but the peel-off-my-introvert-shell stress? Ugh. It’s a good thing I have my handy-dandy ultimate packing list from the last time I went to RWA National. *smile*
The Ultimate RWA Conference Packing List
- Conference outfits (clothes and jewelry—casual business most of the time, dressier business for pitches or editor/agent meetings, dressy for Awards Ceremony)
- Comfortable shoes & gel inserts
- Snacks for between workshops when you can’t stop for lunch
- Medications (no hangovers allowed) & prescriptions
- Your schedule/RWA2016 app
- Laptop/cellphone/camera (& chargers/power cords/portable chargers/extra batteries)
- Business cards (and a place to hold others’ cards)
- Small toiletry case for purse or bag
- Some way to ship back or carry your goodies
- Some way to personalize your RWA tote bag to make it easier to find among the 2000 identical bags
- Small sewing kit/safety pins for wardrobe malfunctions
- Bandaids for blisters
- Mints/candies to suck on for energy and fresh breath
- Swimsuit/coverup/workout clothes (for all of that *ahem* unscheduled time you don’t have)
- Cardigan for chilly conference rooms
- Dress purse for Awards Ceremony
- Earplugs, white noise app on phone
- Cash for tips, Literacy Booksigning, dining with friends, vending machines
- Extension cord for hotel room (2-4 women, 1 sink—do the math)
- Extra hangers for hanging all your nice clothes in the closet
- Pins for lanyard (PRO, chapter, etc.)
- Sharpie marker and tape for labeling shipping boxes
- Hand sanitizer, wet wipes, stain stick or wipes, moisturizer
- A mini-wheeled cart/dolly (if you need to transport promo or books around)
Other things to prepare and do:
- Print out of hotel reservation, and email all important documents to yourself to ensure you have copies
- Attach business card to phone/camera in case it gets misplaced
- Make sure you drink plenty of water
*whew* All right, what am I forgetting? *smile*
Do you have anything else to add to this list? Are you going to the RWA conference? (Let me know if you want to meet up!) How do you prepare for big trips (are you as much of a over-achieving perfectionist as I am, or do you go with the flow)? Are you an introvert who struggles with in-person events? How do you handle those situations?
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my Blogiversary Contest.Pin It