The Olympics are starting in a week—while I’m in Anaheim, California for the Romance Writers of America (RWA) Annual Conference. I’m really looking forward to the confernce, but man… Did it have to fall during the Olympics? *sigh*
I’m an Olympics nut. I love the pageantry of the opening and closing ceremonies. I love cheering for the athletes. I even love watching all the odd sports. Dressage! Table Tennis! Water Polo!
I love it all. It doesn’t matter that I’d never watch whatever-sport-it-is any other time. If it’s part of the Olympics, I’ll watch it.
To make up for the fact that I’ll miss the first couple of days of coverage, I’m starting my Olympic mood early. Announcing…
The Writing Olympics!
The Writing Olympics? Sure. We already talk about “writing sprints,” right? So why not rename normal writing activities into Olympic-sounding events? We can all feel like champions and ignore the reality of our non-athletic writer’s butt if we use a different perspective. Woo hoo!
(Plus, I’m busy getting ready for the conference and was in the mood for a silly—and short—post, but *shh* about that part, okay?)
The Writing Olympics has events like:
- 100 meter Dash to an Agent-Occupied Elevator
- 10 meter Platform Dive into Social Media
- Synchronized Pitch Appointments
- Individual Writing Time Trials
- Critique Team Pursuit of Publication
- Long Jump into a New Draft
- Vault into Revisions
- High Jump up the Amazon Sales Charts
- 200 meter Freestyle in the Pantser vs. Plotter Debate
- Individual All-Around Success in both Writing and Business
- 400 meter Hurdles over Rejections
- Author/Agent/Publisher/Retailer 4×400 meter Publishing Relay Race
- Creating a Backlist Marathon
What do you think? Could we make this work? *smile* Okay, maybe not, but admit it: It’s fun to think about wearing a gold medal around your neck.
Do you have events to add to the list? What Writing Olympics event would you be best at? Which ones do you still need coaching on? Who would you nominate as the World Record holder for one of those events?Pin It