Harry Potter and Beyond: What Inspires You to Write?

by Jami Gold on July 19, 2011

in News

Harry Potter books box set

Today’s post is part of the #PotterChat blog hop, a collection of fantastic blogs, Twitter chats, and prizes.  Check out Susan Sipal’s post at Harry Potter for Writers for all the details.

For those who didn’t win a prize in my Milestone Blogiversary Contest, you might want to complete the scavenger hunt of this blog hop, as one of the options is a beta read by me.  Other great prizes include critiques, guest blog posts, and free books.

In case you missed my boasting sharing on Twitter, I saw the last Harry Potter movie on Friday.  In 3D.  And IMAX.  And we were the first in line.  And yes, the whole experience was awesomely awesome.

Don’t worry if you haven’t seen the movie or read the books yet.  I’ll keep this post spoiler-free.  My review can be summed up like this:  The movie hit all the emotional notes I wanted it to—and some I was dreading.

My love affair with Harry Potter began with the books.  But I’ll admit I wasn’t one of those who read them before there was a bandwagon.  Starting with the fourth book, I bought the books in hardcover.  However, as I’ve mentioned here before, my to-be-read pile is scary-huge, so I didn’t actually read any of them until after the fifth book was released.

I loved them.

Let me explain how amazing that simple statement is.  My expectations for these books were sky-high.  How often have we heard others gushing about a book and then when we read it, we’re disappointed?

Not with these books.  I devoured all five books and then had to wait like everyone else for the sixth book.

Okay, that’s not a unique story.  Hundreds of thousands of others probably did the same.  What makes this story unusual was what I did during that wait.

I wrote.

I’d written a bit in high school short story writing classes (which I took mostly to avoid Shakespeare).  Then I got in we’re-calling-your-parents trouble with the school for one of my stories (the main character was near-suicidal and swore—a lot).  No one believed that the story wasn’t “a cry for help.”  (It really wasn’t.  My characters have lives of their own.)  Discouraged and misunderstood, I gave up writing for many, many years.

Instead, my creativity expressed itself with role-playing games, creating characters and worlds within the context of a game.  When life got too crazy to even continue gaming, I was a creative wasteland.  Until I read Harry Potter.

I knocked out 58,000 words in a little over a month by writing my version of what the seventh book would be like.  That’s right.  My first completed novel was fan fiction.

Of course my story was wrong in every respect compared to the real seventh book once it came out.  But I knew those characters so well that I was able to crawl inside them and write a story that was still true to them and their world.  For the first time, I felt a bone-deep connection to a character.

At the time, I told my family that if I ever came up with my own characters who spoke to me so clearly to watch out.  The writing bug had bitten me.  Hard.

Fast forward a year or so and my characters finally visited me.  My worlds formed in my head.  My muse started talking to me.  Now he never shuts up.  And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I suspect I’m not the only one to have been inspired by J.K. Rowling to start writing.  Millions of virtual trees have been used for Harry Potter fan fiction alone, much less for those who grew beyond that.

So as I sat in the darkened theater and watched the end credits of the final movie scroll by, that’s when I really started bawling.  Yes, we still have Pottermore to look forward to, but that’s not nearly as big as the movies, which weren’t as big as the books.  This last movie signaled “the end” to me in bright letters crawling up a 70 foot screen.

The tears stopped only when something new lit inside me: the desire to find, to read, or maybe, just maybe, to write the “next” Harry Potter.

We all have that moment when we were bitten by the writing bug, but something more keeps us going when the words aren’t flowing, when a harsh critique leaves us doubting ourselves, or when another rejection lands in our mailbox.  Something inspires us to continue to write.

I’m a writer today because of J.K. Rowling and her world of Harry Potter.  Do I think my stories can compete with hers?  *snort*  Uh, no.  But I think my efforts can honor the contribution she made to literature and to my life.  I think my stories can affect others on some level.  So in that small way, I can continue what she started.

What gave you the writing bug?  What inspires you to continue to write even when things get difficult?  Have you ever written fan fiction (stories about someone else’s characters)?  Do you want the answer to one of the #PotterChat blog hop scavenger hunt questions?  Hee. (His silver arm, page 470, Chapter 23 – Malfoy Manor)

Ava Jae July 19, 2011 at 6:06 am

I would say if any one person inspired me to write, it’d be Ted Dekker since I was devouring his books when I picked up the pen (or sat at the keyboard, as it was).

I think most of us felt the same way when the credits rolled–that something immense had just ended and couldn’t properly be replaced. I know I did (although I’m seeing the movie again this week, so it doesn’t feel completely over to me just quite yet.

So now what? Well, there’s writing, of course. There’s reading (The Hunger Games, Divergent and Shatter Me all have some really great movie potential) and I did hear a little online rumor that J.K. Rowling has more in store for us…just not Harry Potter.

Still, anything else by J.K. Rowling sounds great to me. :)

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hi Ava,

I’ve always been a reader, so storytelling has always been part of my life. But it wasn’t until Harry Potter that I started listening to those voices in my head. :) Thanks for the comment!

Susan Sipal July 19, 2011 at 7:13 am

What a beautiful story, Jami. You are indeed a powerful storyteller and I firmly believe your stories are going to captivate many hearts and minds as well! Your voice comes through so strongly in this blog.

I was writing before I discovered Harry Potter, but JKR definitely inspired me into new directions with my writing. I’ve learned so much from being enchanted by her characters and studying her craft. It’s amazing how the power of Story can touch so many lives.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

Hi Susan,

Aww, thank you. Yes, if we’re going to learn by studying others, JKR is a great role model for us. :) Thanks for the comment!

Maryanne Fantalis July 19, 2011 at 7:18 am

For me, it was “A Wrinkle In Time” which I read in the summer between second and third grade on the recommendation of my beloved second grade teacher. I still own the paperback copy I bought then. I was completely blown away by it — truly altered by that book. Not only did it open up a world for me in which I wanted to live (and I did return to the world of that series again and again, trying to put myself inside it) but it made me see for the first time that you could do this for a living. That you could create and write things and someone would print them and people would buy them.

Fan fiction was the first full-length, ambitious stuff I wrote (or rewrote) with my then-best friend — the first Star Wars movie, the entire BattleStar Galactica TV series. (I still have the BG script. It’s a HOOT!) When I coach my kids or other young writers about creative writing, I often advise them to try it, because what better place to start? You already love the stories, you know the characters, and the plots are all laid out for you. All you have to do is change one or two things… at first. It is the safest and easiest way to begin.

Wow, Jami. I’m a LOT older than you. :)

(And how could you try to avoid Shakespeare?! He is the MAN!)

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 9:53 am

Hi Maryanne,

No, I’m not younger than you. I read the Harry Potter books as an adult. There were many, many years between those high school classes and my Harry Potter experience. :)

And I loved reading as a child. My favorite books were the Narnia series. I re-read those almost every year and I wanted an Aslan for my own (the religious implications of that were over my head as a child – LOL!). But those stories didn’t inspire to write – just to read.

As for Shakespeare, I can’t enjoy his work because I have to spend too much effort “translating” the words and meaning. What can I say? Um, I’m lazy. :) Thanks for the comment!

Maryanne Fantalis July 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I too loved Narnia. I used to dream of falling asleep on Aslan’s paws, like Lucy. I felt that “a-ha!” of revelation when I figured out the Christian allegory, but then the sense of betrayal set in. “The Magician’s Book” is a wonderful analysis of the books for readers like us.

I saved the HP books to read with my kids. Alas, my daughter wanted to read alone (she was 8 when she started and ate them up like candy) and my son preferred Jim Dale’s reading to mine (who can blame him?). So I read them on my own.

Ah, Shakespeare! The more you read, the easier it gets, I promise. He reuses a LOT of stuff.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Wow! You had plans to read all the HP books aloud? With books that long, that’s very ambitious. :)

I know. I’m a heathen to not want to read Shakespeare. I can do movies and stuff, so I know I like his stories, but the translating? Yeeks. :) I’m intimidated.

Maryanne Fantalis July 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Well, someday when I get published, you can read my versions. *fingers crossed*

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

*fingers crossed* :)

BekahSnow July 19, 2011 at 8:21 am

This was such a heartfelt post! Honestly I don’t have one book that got me started on the writing path. I wrote here and there I’n high school but nothing fiction. I missed writing, and ideas just kept coming. When u started writing, I just loved ALL if it. Then I realized I didn’t know anything and was prob terrible. I started researching and learning. I read potter because I watched one or two movies and needed to know what the buzz was about: her talent!

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi Bekah,

I think I would die from cringing so hard if I read that story again. :) I knew nothing about grammar or craft, and I’m pretty sure I had a Mary Sue character in there. LOL! All I knew was what I’d learned instinctively from decades of reading – plotting, theme, etc. But we all have to start somewhere. :) Thanks for the comment!

J. A. Paul July 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

I can’t believe you got in trouble in school over Shakespeare! Until you said it was about your stories. Then I was like, oh, OK, that sounds more like Jami. Didn’t figure you for a spitballer.

Believe it or not Loius L’amour got me thinking about writing my own stories but it was my kids who pushed mover the edge – probably because of all the reading and story telling I did/do with them.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:00 am

Hi Jason,

Aww, I love that your kids got you started. :) That’s a great reason.

*sigh* And you’re right. I was more of a Honor Roll student than a Detention kid. :) I think the only time I landed in Detention in high school was because a group of us had skipped class to run to McDonalds. Our teacher was fine with it (it was an independent-study type of class) and even asked us to bring back a Big Mac for him. LOL! But we got caught coming back and the weenie-teacher let us burn. :) Thanks for the comment!

Lisa Gail Green July 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

Beautifully said! It’s funny, I had a different experience. I read all seven books in two weeks time. I had resisted for a long time. And I was so blown away by the absolute complete world that JKR created that it put my writing career on hold for like 6 months! LOL. But then I realized that I didn’t have to BE her, I could aspire to be my best.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hi Lisa,

Yes, we don’t have to try to live up to JKR, but we can aspire to be our best. Well said! Thanks for the comment!

Gene Lempp July 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

It’s great to finally get to hear your story, Jami. What a shame that other people turned you off writing for so long. My oldest daughter wrote a similar piece that ended up winning in a contest, but on the way to that, I had to go through a meeting with a principal and school councilor to explain that she wasn’t suicidal. Some people are just too tightly wound, makes me wonder who really needs help.

Great post!

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hi Gene,

Aww, give your daughter a hug for me. :)

Luckily, my parents didn’t go overboard (no hospital lock-down/suicide watch), but the whole reaction from all sides really made me question whether it was a good idea to listen to those voices. Now I obviously have no issues with people thinking I’m crazy. LOL! Thanks for the comment!

Lyn Midnight July 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

Jami.. YOU have inspired me today. :)

I have always said that I started writing because of Harry Potter. I wrote fan fiction on a few sites and found amazing writer friend there. But honestly, before Harry Potter/high school I had never written a story longer than a page or one that had a plotline, lol.

And then Harry came and poof, I started writing, and I’ve been writing ever since, so like you… my love affair with the books is two-fold, I fell for the series as a reader and a writer. But I also fell for Rowling’s storytelling genius. Like Ava, I would read anything she throws my way because like you said, Harry lived to those high expectations, and that doesn’t happen very often.

Wonderfully inspiring post! And I love what you said about writing the next Harry Potter book. I think we all have that dream and we cherish it, like something bright to look forward to in our lives, and that’s the biggest gift Rowling could have given us all. :)

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hi Lyn,

Aww, thank you! The funny thing is that during those years and years where I didn’t write, I also didn’t read very much. I think those were related. :) Thanks for the comment!

Michelle Roberts July 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

What got me started writing? Tolkien–and C.S. Lewis. My mom had me read the Narnia series and The Hobbit when I was in 8th grade. My first story was very, very Tolkienish! :) That one story was all it took, though. I was bitten by the fantasy bug and the writing bug and I’ve been writing ever since. Hopefully my current work in progress will someday make it to the bookstore shelves.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hi Michelle,

Yes, as I mentioned above, the Narnia series is very special to me too. And The Hobbit was probably influential as well, I just don’t remember it as well because I haven’t re-read it 20 times since then. :) Thanks for the comment!

Kiki Hamilton July 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

Harry Potter was the single catalyst that made me start writing! I talk a little about it on my post tomorrow, but that is TOTALLY the reason I became a writer and stuck to it.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hi Kiki,

Yep, I knew I wasn’t the only one. :) I look forward to your post tomorrow. Thanks for the comment!

Nicole Basaraba July 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

J.K. Rowling inspired me too! I started reading her books when I was just a kid. I remember that my mom bought the books from my younger brother and I thought I would give them a try even though they seemed like “boy books” at the time. After reading them, I wished I could write like Rowling one day.

I didn’t start my WIP until March of this year, but I did start and I plan on finishing within one year as I’ve set that goal for myself.

I also wrote a blog post at the end of June of J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter: http://universecityblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/j-k-rowling-an-author-to-learn-from/

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hi Nicole,

*cough* I was well into adulthood by the time the books came out. :)

And for me, it’s not so much about wanting to write like her, but wanting to create a world that others can connect to like her world of Harry Potter. I’m not sure if that makes sense to anyone else though. :) Thanks for the comment!

Nicole Basaraba July 19, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hi Jami,

Makes sense to me.

P.S. I know that lots of adults read the series so you’re not the only one. :)

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

LOL! Thanks! :)

Ben Reeder July 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

For me, it was two writers who inspired me to return to writing. JK Rowling inspired the idea for setting, what I call “the world next door”, but it was Jim Butcher who gave me the confidence that my voice had an audience.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

Hi Ben,

Oh, I like that – knowing that your voice has an audience. :) Good luck with your stories and thanks for the comment!

Roxanne Skelly July 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm

What inspires me to write?
Hmm. Writing is cheaper than Thorazine as far as getting the voices out of my head.

Well, for my first book, I cut a few pages in half and shoved them in a typewriter (dating myself here) when I was in early elementary school. Bound with staples.

Then, in junior high, my english teachers decided they didn’t like me because I was very into science and math. They convinced me that I was no good, and turned me off of writing for quite some time.

Didn’t stop my storytelling. We had a movie camera, and I did a few films. And I took some video production in college. And I read bunches.

It wasn’t until a few years ago that I picked up writing as my outlet for storytelling, and while I plod along, I’m making stories. Happy happy.

These days, hey, people tell me my writing is pretty good. We’ll let the market make the final decision when I finally publish, though.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hi Roxanne,

Writing is cheaper than Thorazine as far as getting the voices out of my head.

LOL! Good to know. Thanks for the comment!

Stacy Green July 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

What a great story, Jami. The Potter books have a soft spot for me because I read the first five in December of 2005 while I was counting down the days until my daughter was born. I was reading Order of The Phoenix when I went into labor.

Like you, the last movie hit every emotional note I wanted and then some. It exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high. I’m still slogging through some withdrawal as I can’t believe there aren’t any more films to look forward to, but not as bad as when I finished reading the 7th book. That was a painful high to come down off of.

As for who inspired me to write, I’d have to say Anne Rice. I don’t write paranormal, but I was always blown away by the world she created, and her characters. I loved how her sentences flowed together, and I’ve read her books over and over.

Great post!

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Hi Stacy,

Yes, maybe we all need grief counseling. :) Thanks for the comment!

Sonia Lal July 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I don’t think any one particular book got me writing. In gradeschool, I rewrote the endings for stories whose endings I didn’t like. But it wasn’t until tenth grade I decided I wanted to be a writer.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hi Sonia,

That’s a cool way to approach writing – rewriting the endings to stories. :) Thanks for the comment!

Tahlia Newland July 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

What set me off was Garth Nix’s, ‘Sabriel’. I’d had the idea for a novel for a while but I wasn’t sure how to write it – style, POV etc. When I read Sabriel I knew how to approach it. I too wrote like crazy after reading it.

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hi Tahlia,

That’s interesting! I haven’t seen any books with the same genre/style/tone as mine, which makes it impossible to think of comparable titles. :) Thanks for the comment!

J. M. Dow July 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Good lordie, my wife started crying the minute the Warner Brothers logo came up in the theater. I had the fortitude to hold out until the first actual shot of the movie.

What gave me the writing bug, though? It was actually several years before Harry Potter came out. Good old R.L. Stine’s books enchanted me with a world of spooky, spinetingling tales where anything could happen and you always had to be careful for what you wished for. Of course, I wrote a series of books called “Ultimate Goosebumps.” It was actually before I saw the TV series of the same name. Then I wrote…*gulp*…Dragonball Z fan-fiction. *Hides head in shame.*

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hi J.M.,

Yes, I made it to the first scene… *sigh* …of the headstone. *sob*

And no worries about shame here. I embarrass myself on a regular basis. :) Thanks for the comment!

Sarah Pearson July 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm

When I was younger I wanted to be Judy Blume. A few years later I wanted to write a book like Judith Krantz. Good grief, that must have been three decades ago!

Jami Gold July 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Hi Sarah,

Oh, Judy Blume. I remember those days…long, long ago. :) Thanks for the comment!

Deri Ross July 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

I have wanted to write stories for as long as I can remember. When I was about five or six, I spent the summer reading the big three E.B. White books– Charlotte’s Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, and Stuart Little — over and over again. Right after that, we moved to a new house and I found a little blue, plastic typewriter in a closet. I don’t know if it was a toy or what, but it worked, and I typed out a story about a little lost lion.
Another thing that boosted my desire to write was my dad would read books like the The Hobbit to me, and I’d go to sleep with tons of new creatures dancing through my head. I don’t know why I never considered writing more seriously.
I actually have a MS that I wrote years and years ago (like early 90′s) but never did anything with. I only recently got into Harry Potter and read all the entire series two summers ago, right before #6 came out in theaters. My old MS is kinda along the same lines as HP (not exactly, and no where near as good, obviously) so I’d never publish it, but it was nice to know that some of my ideas had some merit. I think that really made me feel that I had some talent to cultivate and take writing seriously.

Jami Gold July 20, 2011 at 11:34 am

Hi Deri,

Oh yes, the E.B. White books! I had the box set of all three. :) I think The Trumpeter Swan was my favorite.

That’s interesting about how you hadn’t considered writing more seriously. I think that’s similar to my experience. Until I finish that first story and loved the experience of writing, I’d never really thought about it. So it was less of an “I can’t do it” thing and more of an “I don’t even know what I’m missing” thing. :) Thanks for the comment!

Deri Ross July 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I think those three E.B White books did a lot to shape me as a person, not to sound too corny. I still find myself referencing to things I learned, be it a new word (think of a five year old searching a dictionary bigger than her for the word “humble”), new concepts, or new places. I can’t hear about Billings, Montana without thinking of Louis’ father flying through a window to get his son a trumpet! And, although we lived in a New York apartment at the time, I was determined I would have a pet pig, so I researched our Encyclopedia Brittanica to learn everything about caring for pigs (oh, the days before the internet!). Books have so much power! I think that is my biggest motivator of them all — I would love to inspire others they way I’ve been.

Deri Ross July 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

*the way I’ve been.

I’ll blame that one on my broken arm :)

Jami Gold July 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

You typed that big comment with a broken arm? I’m honored! :)

I’ve lost track of how many words I know (from reading) but don’t have a clue how to pronounce. LOL! And you’re right. Books really do have a special power.

Kyla July 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I actually did a post on my blog not too long ago about the moment I identify as part of my inspiration to write, but I’ve always had the writing bug, ever since I was a little girl of four writing in my little, pink notebooks.

But I know what you mean. My identifying mark had a lot to do with Roald Dahl and his amazing books, mostly The BFG, but also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, and several others.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us! I really found it inspiring myself. My hope has always been that I could inspire someone else to write and read just as Roald Dahl did me and my friend. Have a great day and happy writing!

Jami Gold July 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hi Kyla,

My hope has always been that I could inspire someone else to write and read…

Yes! That’s it exactly, like a passing of the torch or something. :) Thanks for the comment!

Julie Musil July 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Jami, that is such a cool story! I wonder if JKR has any idea of the impact she’s had not only on readers, but on writers. Amazing.

Jami Gold July 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hi Julie,

Thanks! I know she’s aware of her impact on her readership, but you’re right, I don’t know if she knows how much she’s inspired other writers. Thanks for the comment! :)

PW Creighton July 21, 2011 at 6:13 am

Watching the final film it really did set in that it was ‘the end.’ Ten years of the books and movies and this series that has pushed the world has come to a close. There’s a huge vacuum and it’s a bit depressing. At the same time it makes you wonder what’s next? What can replace that influence? My original inspiration was my garbled muse telling me I wanted to experience a specific story with specific characters. After a year of trolling bookstores it occurred to me that the only way I was going to read that story was if I wrote it. So I started writing.

Jami Gold July 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

Hi PW,

Yes, “vacuum” is a great way to put it. And your questions are spot on. We all know nature abhors a vacuum, so something will come next. Hopefully, it will be one of us here. :) Thanks for the comment!

Taurean Watkins November 13, 2012 at 5:55 am

Jami, reading this post gives me the courage to finally admit (outside my tribe of writers) I too was inspired to write in part (There were OTHER factors, too!) because of HP. I just didn’t want to give the impression I was NOT in any way trying to be “derivative” of HP.

(My fantasy is less “swords and sorcery” and more “Animal Fantasy for the non-preschoolers.”)

Even in the early days of my writing life, I wanted to write MY stories, not try to dovetail on someone else’s success, it’s against my honor code for one, and second, I have plenty of my own ideas. Whether or not I can (Re)write them in a salable way is still up for debate (I can also finally admit I LOVE to debate, but NOT about politics, just about books, entertainment, life and writing, you know?).

While I’d written some fan fiction before, I never did for HP, by that point I was done with fan fiction and had my own characters I wanted to write about.

That said, while HP helped me appreciate books as entertainment in general (I mostly played video games and watched television and movies most of my childhood, not counting books I had to read for school) the book that really informed the majority of what I love writing was
“A Rat’s Tale” by Tor Seidler.

While some “Action Junkies” will take it to task for not being “hooky” enough, and I can admit it’s not for readers who lust for the kind of faster paced action in the vein of Redwall or Warriors, or something edgy in the vein of “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins or
“Crank” by Ellen Hopkins, but I will also tell any writer (or reader) willing to listen: Slow-paced stories are NOT always code for “This writer has no idea how to tell a story.”

This book got me (A lonely, stubborn and opinionated fourteen year old with nontraditional interests [How many teen boys did you know who baked from scratch, prefers classical music over hip-hop/rap, and didn't watch their first R-rated movie until they were 17, not 7 and 3/4...], and whose primary sources of entertainment at the time involved television, computers, and video game consoles almost exclusively) to see books could be about things I actually CARED about on a personal level.

Yes, the prose is pretty, but it does have a story with an actual plot, it just happens to read in a semi-poetic way, but it’s not a novel in verse, though. I think if you’re getting worn out of the “destined one” types of stories like HP (As much as I loved the series, though not to the “Über-Fan” level of other writers I know) this is a breath of fresh air in that regard.

On a side note, the pictures scattered throughout, as well as they cover, just enhances an already solid story on its own. I’d have read this in galley form without the illustrations and still have been satisfied, but they do add the “cherry on top” from an aesthetics standpoint.

Back to HP, I still haven’t finished the series yet, but that’s only because I had to focus on writing in my own niche (As cited above), and improve my craft, plus after book 5 (It’s the first time a book literally made me cry, in a GOOD way) I needed a break from the books and movies, but I will finish six and seven eventually. Thanks for “no spoilers” on this post, Jami.

Jami Gold November 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hi Taurean,

I’ve heard enough about your stories that I know they’re in no way derivative of HP. I’ll vouch for you. :)

Stories with fantastical elements are broad in scope, and the only people who would think you’re being derivative would be those with zero experience with fantasy or speculative fiction at all, and they relate all stories with fantastical elements back to HP. Don’t worry about them.

Thank you, too, for sharing your story of your interest in books and writing. I know of kids who are growing up with more (what some have termed) “sensitive” tastes. I think an audience for your stories will exist once they are ready for prime time. You’ll just struggle with the same issue all authors do: finding that audience. I wish you the best of luck! :) Thanks for the comment!

Starr July 16, 2013 at 6:21 am

I too started writing after I finished the harry potter series- I started a fanfiction about the next gen the day i finished the Deathly Hallows book. I’ve been researching and working on the plot/ drafting my book/books (i plan to do all 7) for a year now. I also have tampered with hunger games fan fiction and sci-fi short stories (mostly fairytale retellings.)

Jami Gold July 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Starr,

Ooo, very cool! At the time, I wasn’t creative enough to think up a whole new cast of characters. By the time I was more creative, I was writing original fiction. But a HP “next gen” sounds interesting. :) Have fun with it and thanks for the comment!