The Value of “Crap” Jobs

by Jami Gold on May 29, 2014

Truck stuck in mud with text: Stuck in a

In my last post, I asked if “do what you love” was good career advice. We had a fantastic conversation in the comments, discussing everything from the costs of doing what you love to the danger of attaching our self-worth to our jobs.

On Twitter, Mara Pina pointed out that we can derive a lot of benefits from jobs that have nothing to do with our passions. That reminded me of a post I did a couple of years ago with advice for newbie writers, and I wanted to tie these ideas together.

Endless advice exists telling us “life is a journey; enjoy the ride” and “happiness comes from within.” On some level, we’ve probably heard that advice so much that we dismiss what it really means.

But (and here’s where I let my inner-Pollyanna shine through *smile*) that advice is true and valid. Life is what we make of it.

The Grass Isn’t Greener on the Other Side

The reason we struggle with this concept is because of simple human nature. We think “if only xyz, I’d be happy.” Or “if only I had abc job, it wouldn’t feel like work.”

In the comments of the last post, Amanda K Byrne linked to an awesome post by Discovery Channel’s Dirty Jobs host, Mike Rowe. He’s met people who work in what many would consider the worst jobs, yet he says:

“Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs.

Many people today resent the suggestion that they’re in charge of the way they feel. … Those people are mistaken. That was a big lesson from Dirty Jobs, and I learned it several hundred times before it stuck. What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you.”

In other words, it can be work to be happy, no matter our circumstances. It’s not automatic or handed to us. No wonder we’d prefer to find the shortcut, the magic job, the perfect relationship, etc.

Not to mention that mortality makes us impatient. It’s easy to feel like we’re wasting time if we’re not doing exactly what we want This. Very. Minute.

But those feelings don’t help us find healthy ways of dealing with life’s setbacks. Even in our perfect job, life wouldn’t be perfect every day.

What Makes a “Good” Job?

I’ve enjoyed plenty of jobs that weren’t connected to my passions or my degree, so that brings up the question of why. What makes a non-perfect job tolerable, or even good for us?

In a conversation with my tech guy yesterday, Jay Donovan shared his perspective on what makes a job “good.” He said: Pay, Perks, and People. He suggested that if we have two out of three of those, it’s a good job. Three out of three is golden.

• Pay: Obviously, this refers to monetary reward. We can put up with a lot of crap if we’re paid well. *smile*
  • Perks: This one is tricky. Perks could refer to tangibles (free meals for restaurant waitstaff, insurance benefits, free T-shirts or other swag, etc.) or intangibles (public recognition, learning something new, advancement opportunities, etc.). I think what we talked about last time—loving the work itself—falls into this category as well.
  • People: This includes any work relationships, like our boss, our coworkers, our vendors/suppliers, our customers. If we like the people we’re around, we’ll put up with a lot of crap there too.

For my writing, I love the work itself and the people I’ve met have become some of my best friends. I’m still working on the Pay part. *snicker*

“Crap” Jobs Can Teach Us Just as Much, If Not More

All that got me thinking about my own work history. It took me six years after graduation to find a permanent job. During those six years, I worked part-time, often through temporary agencies, doing any kind of office-work I could.

Many would be discouraged by that experience. It’s possible I felt discouraged as well, and I’m just blocking it from my memory. *smile* But what I remember most now—years later—are the experiences.

I learned so much during that time, despite the fact that I was earning barely over minimum wage and working only part-time:

• The temp-work aspect exposed me to multitudes of different office cultures, management styles, etc. Looking back now, I see how that exposure helped me understand real-world psychology, learn how people interact in healthy and unhealthy ways, and introduced me to countless character inspirations—er, I mean, people. *grin*
  • Temp-work is based on skills used, so I earned raises by making myself more useful. Trying to prove myself worthy of a direct hire or more hours taught me to take initiative and look for opportunities. Constant learning—constant growing—is a great way to create a mindset of pushing ourselves to do better.
  • Those opportunities turned into projects that I managed from beginning to end. Most of my long-term jobs ended up as positions where the work had never been done before. I invented the job. That was great preparation for learning to manage responsibilities and for not being intimidated by the unknowns we face in this ever-changing publishing industry.

That list isn’t even counting the fact that one of my invented projects turned into technical writing, which eventually led me to discover my love of fiction writing. So I might never have discovered what I love to do without that experience.

(Like many young people, I picked a degree that’s unrelated to what I’m doing now because I was clueless about what I enjoyed. So we might not actually love our dream job the way we think we will.)

Experiences lead to discoveries about ourselves. I wouldn’t have been as successful in my eventual permanent jobs or in my current writing path without those experiences. Any job, no matter how crappy, can become a learning experience for our life.

The Most Important Ingredient for Writing

That brings us back to my advice post for newbie writers. Writing full-time and supporting ourselves and our family might be our “dream” job in line with the “do what you love; love what you do” idea. But there’s a step we need to take before we’re ready to write.

As author and writing teacher Holly Lisle said:

“If you have never lived, how are you going to write characters that live?”

In other words, in order to reach our dream job, we often must go through these other experiences. “Crap” jobs aren’t a waste if we’re still finding ways to learn and grow and experience.

This attitude of looking at life as one big learning experience is a choice, just like happiness. If we have a boring job, we could do the minimum and go through the motions each day, or we could choose a different attitude.

We could look for opportunities to do more and earn trust (potentially leading to more Pay), learn new things or improve processes to make the work itself more enjoyable (Perks), or make new contacts and explore friendships with those we work with (People).

Improvements in any of those areas will help us like our job more. If we like what we do, our foray into the writing world comes with less pressure for sales numbers that allow us to quit the day job. And if nothing else, we can make note of the things we don’t like about our job for future story fodder and character ideas. *smile*

Have you held “crap” jobs? If you found value in them, what made them worthwhile? Did those experiences help you as a writer? What do you think of Jay’s “Pay, Perks, People” idea? Do you agree that happiness and our attitude are choices? Do you try to look at life as one big learning experience?

Sharon May 29, 2014 at 7:50 am

If I ever stop learning, I pray it is because I’m DEAD. Seriously. I’m guessing I’ll still be learning in Heaven. One sign something is alive is that it grows and changes (and weight gain doesn’t count in my book!)
Another great post. Yes, Jay is spot-on. Right now I’m earning nothing with my writing and most of the time I’m not around people either (although I’ve met some fascinating, inspiring and helpful writers), so I’m sailing on the perks alone. After months of editing, I’m beginning to question my sanity (but not my path toward becoming a published author).
Thanks for being one of my inspirations, Jami.

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Sharon,

Ditto! I don’t always succeed, but I try to measure (or judge) my days by whether I learned something new. If the answer is yes, it was a good day. 🙂

Thank You for the kind words! And by the way, I’m right there with you on the months of editing. *sigh* And I certainly don’t get out much either, but I count my online friends as “real.” 😀 Thanks for the comment!

Amy Keeley May 29, 2014 at 9:33 am

I’ve held a lot of jobs. My favorite was housekeeping. The agency I worked for usually cleaned these big, gorgeous houses, and as I cleaned I realized I was setting romances in them a lot of the time.

It’s difficult to think about life as one big learning experience, but I’m learning it’s necessary.

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hi Amy,

Ooo, I can understand that. I have a Pinterest board of rooms in Luxury homes that I use for inspiration. 🙂

I don’t always succeed with that mindset either, but usually when I’m feeling down, I realize it’s because I haven’t had that attitude in mind.

Last night, I mentioned to my family that my long recovery for my ankle injury is the same way. If I can point to one new thing I can do today that I couldn’t yesterday, it helps me see progress. (And we’re talking really little changes–like being able to put pressure on my toes and not just the ball of my foot. 🙂 )

Good luck with your situation and thanks for the comment!

Serena Yung May 29, 2014 at 10:08 am

Oh I totally agree that happiness is what you make of it. In fact, I always thought that that was common sense, lol. In our psych class, this researcher named Daniel Gilbert (he does research on happiness!) says that the problem is not “we don’t get what we want”, but “we don’t want what we get.” 🙁 About the grass is greener on the other side, it’s funny because I usually think the grass is YELLOWER on the other side. XD In other words, my attitude is usually “mine is the best” 😉 I love my friends, I love my life, I think I’m one of the luckiest people in the world, etc., haha. People outside might not think my life is THAT amazing, but hey, it’s MY perspective on my life that determines how happy I am, right? 😉

I also completely agree that each experience, good or bad or unpleasant in life, teaches us stuff. Learning is a wonderful and valuable thing. 😀 Haha I agree as well with the point that by getting to know more different types of people in our “crap” jobs, we get to know different types of people and ways of interactions, so that helps us with our character development in our stories and stuff. I can’t live without interacting with people, lol. Social interactions are just as important as actually writing to me. And yes, definitely, I also prefer being a part-time writer rather than a full-time one because I feel like I need to collect life experience from something that doesn’t have anything to do with writing, haha. Yeah we need to LIVE before we can write! Otherwise, we wouldn’t have a great range of topics, themes, and characters to write about and eventually we might bore our readers! :O

Finally, I was going to put this comment on your previous post, but I’ll say it here now. I love the point that we shouldn’t treat jobs that are not the loved type as “inferior”, and yes, SOMEBODY has to do the jobs that are less fun or even downright unpleasant (e.g. toilet cleaning, loading garbage trucks), and we should respect these people because our society would be a mess without them! As one writer I read said, according to popular opinion, there are differences in “inferiority and superiority” for different jobs, but according to an academic perspective, there is NO difference in superiority/ inferiority for those different jobs, because they all contribute to helping the society function, so they all deserve equal respect. Or at least, that’s my general belief, haha. Shady jobs like selling very harmful illegal drugs I definitely don’t think deserve any respect at all…

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Ooo, I can understand that researcher’s theory. Interesting!

And you’re absolutely right about what matters is our own perspective. Those who travel or meet people in vastly different circumstances see this all the time. Others might be financially poor compared to us, or live in housing we wouldn’t like, etc., and yet they’re happy. We also see it from lottery winners, who often end up depressed. Circumstances don’t create happiness.

LOL! at your note about not respecting illegal jobs. Yep, I agree with you there. As I mentioned in the last post, any job that contributes to society is worthy of respect. 🙂 Thanks for the comment!

Tamara LeBlanc May 29, 2014 at 11:07 am

I’ve been very fortunate most of my life…when I was a kid in the 80’s I worked as a life guard at a pool where only swim teams swam. It was a GREAT job for a teenager. I made a lot of money and sat in a chair getting a tan. It was awesome. Then when I went to college I didn’t work because I swam on scholarship. Out of college I married and my husband supported our family for nearly 20 years. I stayed home with the kids (another GREAT job!) But when Dusty got sick and couldn’t work anymore I had to take charge…but I never finished college…so the only jobs I could get were “crap”. I worked at Starbucks in a Kroger (I couldn’t stand it. The people I worked with, and the work itself were both… hmm…umm crap. And let’s not mention the pay) Then I got a job with Gwinnett County schools in the cafeteria (YIKES!!!! I’m not afraid of hard work, mind you, but not only was working there hard, hot, and VERY stressful, but the pay was…”CRAP”! I have a lot of respect for the women that are still employed at the school cafeterias (they’re very sweet and I really liked them all, but they work SOOO hard for very little pay.)
So, yes, I’ve had a few crap jobs, but like you, I learned from them and gained experience I didn’t otherwise have.
Now I work for a church. I got so lucky getting this job. I don’t make very much at all, but this job possess two out of the 3 qualities your tech guy mentioned. Perks, I’m getting great experience working as the office manager and my boss knows I write and when I have down time I’m allowed to add to my word count (HUGE PERK) and People, I LOVE the people here!!!
What I’m praying for is that my agent sells my books so that I can continue working here at this job I love.
Recently, things have been very sad for me, but all in all, I’ve been incredibly fortunate. I was raised in a loving house and barely had to work in my youth and then I met the most amazing man who loved me and took care of me and our kids. The first half of my life was easy and wonderful…I hope that even though I lost the only man I will ever love, that I can have even a fraction of that happiness for the remainder of my time here.
Kind of went off topic there, sorry…and jeeze my comment meandered, but this was a great post, Jami!
Thank you so much for your wisdom.
Have a great weekend and best wishes to you in all you do!!
PS, Are you going to Nationals?
Tamara

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hi Tamara,

LOL! That does sound like an awesome job for a teenager. 🙂

Yay! I’m glad to hear you’re in a better job now, with 2 out of 3 of those qualities. And I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that the Pay aspect kicks in from your books. 🙂

You’ve been through so much lately and I’m so glad that you’re still able to see bright spots in your life. *hugs* I’m here for you anytime, my friend. And yes! I’m going to National. Are you??? *fingers crossed*

Take care and thanks for the comment!

Tamara LeBlanc June 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

I AM going this year! I won a scholarship and I MUST see you if possible 🙂
I will message you on Facebook and let you know when I’ll be there.
Yay!!!

Jami Gold June 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Yay!!! I can’t wait to meet you, Tamara. 🙂

Nicole Grabner May 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Jami, excellent post! I can understand and empathize with others who have ever put time into a career that they knew wasn’t their calling or passion. Maybe it’s a part of paying your dues, like a rough river you have to navigate to get to the pot of gold at the end. (Yes, metaphor crazy there.) Either way, great read! 🙂

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Hi Nicole,

Yes, “paying dues.” That concept could apply to parents too. 🙂 Toilet training is paying dues for no diapers later. Teenagers are paying due for future friends. LOL! Thanks for the comment!

Carradee May 29, 2014 at 5:24 pm

In other words, it can be work to be happy, no matter our circumstances. It’s not automatic or handed to us.

As I told my mother perhaps a year ago, happiness can be a choice. You can choose to not be negative. (I got called naïve for it, but oh, well.) I’ve been forcing myself to, well, overshare a bit about some of the negatives with my family because I keep convincing myself they’re not that bad, that I’m overreacting. Peoples’ owl-eyed expressions about crap that doesn’t even bother me helps me remember that yes, it’s actually worse than I’m aware of.

(Re: family, I want to believe it unintentional, but they’re making it increasingly difficult to convince myself of that, because they’re not stupid. Perhaps the most common argumentative technique they employ is actually a form of psychological torture which can be used in interrogations for brainwashing. I wish that were hyperbole.)

I’ve never worked with a temp agency, but I have had a lot of different types of jobs, with different work environments, including one with an emotionally abusive boss, where I lasted for two full years because he was an amateur compared to what I put up with at home. That one was educational about differences in “poor” culture: black vs white, rely-on-government-assistance vs. work-your-butt-off-to-get-out-of-it. I had two jobs (one office receptionist, one as a caller in a market research firm) where I used my Spanish regularly and learned my voice tends to bring out folks’ “Oh, let me help you!” urges. (The market research firm put me on the day shift, calling businesses, because I’d get 6+ surveys in a 4-hour shift, and the people I called were still in a good mood even after I’d taken up 20 minutes or more of their lives.)

To this day, my FAVORITE “permantent” job was the 6 months as a full-time copyeditor/proofreader. I was running an entire division by myself (starting month #2 working there), sat in a little room with 6 other proofreaders/editors, was trained by the formatters and quality control, learned I was faster than the average proofer, plus learned or confirmed a ton of other details about the field.

After the company sold, I also was the one asked to write the documentation for the new company, much to my manager’s disbelief. (He wasn’t the one who’d hired me—she’d quit after the company sold. He was a guy who got the job probably for reasons related to office politics, and he didn’t like me much. Probably because Formatting gave me projects they were supposed to give him, and one of the QC guys introduced me to his wife as “One of the good proofers” without introducing him that way.)

Each month, 2 weeks were 54 hrs of work, 1 week was a fairly solid 40 hours, and the last week was slow enough that we didn’t always work a full 40 hours. I usually did, because other departments gave me special projects…possibly because I’d walk around looking for work. After the company sold, I played up that I was the youngest person in the company by several years, and I set myself up to be made fun of for not turning 21 until the week after the company party, which was going to end at a bar. They joked that they’d have to leave me with the babysitter.

It was a great job. Good pay and a fantastic office atmosphere (except for the guy who ended up my boss, but everyone else loved me, so he could do very little to me). I also had a lot of fun. (There’s nothing quite like learning a company’s house styles and such from pretty much every department but the one you’re working in—I got most of my training from Formatting and Quality Control, and some details I even learned from Customer Service.)

I actually want to sign up with a temp agency on purpose, someday. Not in search of a day job, but in search of the experiences. But it’ll be best to wait until my health’s consistently better, which means that might be something that happens after I hit 30.

For now, I’m freelancing, which suits me, my need to get out of town, and my health right now. To be frank, I also get bored easily and actually require variety or else I have to start gaming systems to avoid having my quality of output suffer from that boredom.

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’ve been through some times in my life when it was damn hard not to be negative, but when things turned around for me, it wasn’t because anything changed it my circumstances. I was just tired of being negative.

That said, it’s not easy. It is work. But it is a choice. So I see both sides and don’t blame anyone for struggling.

But the other side of that is like I said in the last post, that if a job was actively bad for us because of stress, abusive boss, etc., we should leave. We don’t want to be so Pollyanna that we accept the really bad. 🙂

Wow! That’s fantastic work experience for you! And if you get bored easily, you might really enjoy signing up with a temp agency if freelancing stops being a good fit. 😀 Thanks for the comment!

Kira May 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm

This is exactly what I’m going through right now. My attitude towards job was, you need to have two kinds of job, the job that you’re really love,and job that you’re solely did for money, so here I am spending five days a week, 9 to 5, sitting at Notary’s office, facing the computer and making contracts, whenever I had a time off, I will open my phone and try to write my novel, same thing happens after 5 pm at home, I will open my computer, it happen a few weeks til my eyes burning up. I realize I cannot be like this. The reason I pick this job is if I had to work, this is the best job for me, and I’m quite enjoy doing it. Sure I love to write my novel, writing is my passion, but until I publish something, I will keep this job, and maybe I will keep this job even when I’m a published author, so thankyou Jami for a very useful and inspiring article. I just need to manage my ‘writing’ time that doesn’t suffers my current job and my eyes.

Jami Gold May 29, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Hi Kira,

Yikes! Yes, I can’t do a lot of typing on a little phone without killing my eyes, so I hear you.

I wonder if you’d be able to pick up a cheap, used tablet. At least that would be a bigger screen. :-/ (I have an ancient–I mean like over 10 years old!–tablet that I’ve used to do writing when I’m away from my desk.)

And just to let you know, I don’t have any intention of quitting my day job after I’m published either. I tend to write better when my time is limited. LOL! Thanks for the comment and good luck!

Melinda May 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hi Jami,
I’ve never looked at my crap jobs this wway, but you’re right. I’ve had some crap jobs and some wonderful ones. Before I got my BA, I counted the crap jobs as paying my dues. While in college, I worked 3 jobs one summer to buy myself a car. Fortunately, I only really counted one of those three as a crap job. I worked part-time at a library, part-time at a home improvement stor, and a few weekends as a campus guide at my college. Can you guess which one was the crap job? *smiles* I was fortunate to find the job I loved right out of college. At 22, I was the director of a very small local library. I think the whole library was as big as my living room. Very small library. It had 2 of the three perks, the pay wasn’t that great, but the perks (being around books and bookish people all day, watching kids learn to love reading, eetc) and the people were fabulous. I wish I could work in a library again, but my blindness prevents it. But I still think like a librarian! Sometimes it drives my family nuts.
My current job, stay-at-home Mom is by far the most rewarding job I have. And it leaves me plenty of time to work on my writing. But I’ve found that the more time I have, the more procrastination I do. Have to figure that one out yet.
Sorry for rambling. Great article and a great way to look at life!
Melinda

Jami Gold May 30, 2014 at 11:35 am

Oh yes, I can understand the appeal of working in a library. I’m sorry that’s not possible for you anymore. I hope your Mom job stays rewarding for you! 🙂

LOL! Yep, I’m right there with you on the “more time you have, the more you procrastinate” idea. Like I said, I’m not looking to quit my day job–and that’s one of the reasons. 🙂 Thanks for sharing and thanks for the comment!

Kim Handysides May 30, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Great post Jami! My best ‘crap’ job was maintenance crew for a City Works department. Put myself through university with that job. When it was sunny, we’d cut the grass and paint playgrounds (win), and when it was rainy we’d clean out arenas. (you cannot imagine how dirty those men’s locker rooms get) Great grist for the word mill.
xo (old WANA grad)

Jami Gold May 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hi Kim,

The working outside part sounds better than cleaning men’s locker rooms part, but you’re right, that if it helps us make progress in some way, it’s all good. 🙂 Thanks for the comment!

Taurean Watkins May 31, 2014 at 6:17 am

I wish I felt differently but I don’t and I can’t make myself do so.
I’ve tried and all I do is alienate the people around me and make myself miserable.

I don’t want to sound a whiny brat, but sometimes you just feel broken, not because you want to, but because you are.

Jami, not everything is a “choice” sometimes we just feel bad and no amount of positive self-talk makes it go away. We can’t be pragmatic about everything at all times or we’d be robots!

I can’t just flip a switch and no longer feel envy, frustration, and anger, so maybe I don’t share the same views about “Choice” you have.

No amount of saying “it could be worse” to oneself means what you’re going through is always just some minor bump in the road.

I had a lot to say, but it will just be seen as whining from someone who does not have a “day job” that provides income, everything seems to be a long road approach in my world and it’s getting harder to live with the older I get.

I guess these conversations just bring out the parts of me I’m not proud of, and I feel some of the comments to this and the previous just stopped my heart cold. Have I just been lying to myself? I know you can’t answer that, just musing…

This might simply go back to your previous posts about sacrifice and how that has always had negative consequences in my life versus being healthy as you eluded to.

I don’t see things in grays very well as you know by now. That doesn’t mean I think change is never good, or that we can’t learn from hard times, but there is something said for not wanting to learn EVERYTHING the hard way! (Sigh)

It took me until I was 12 years old to learn how to tie my own shoes. But that wasn’t as bad as being the odd kid out in school, or being the only boy in my immediate family who couldn’t even graduate high school and after two failed attempts in adult ed. and one failed attempt at getting a GED (before everything reset) and I’m still paralyzed by this stall in my life that seems to hinge on things that bring out the worst in me rather than the best.

Whoever said education brings out the best in you didn’t have to grow up in the 21st century…

That said, I’ll never understand what I’m supposed to learn from having a toddler-brained mother, an emotionally distant family at large, and
being born with a mental illness that makes it so hard to have ANY kind of breezy approach to life.

I think that’s why I prefer saying “nuance” because that sounds more hopeful than “Thinking in grays.” Does that make sense?

Sorry being a downer today, but it’s taking all I have right now to not cry all day, and that doesn’t mean good things didn’t happen this month, but May just concentrates all the setbacks and pain in my life and I can’t just turn it off like a light switch.

I want to feel like this-

Not this-

Sometimes I just wish I could attack what holds me back-

Jami Gold May 31, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Hi Taurean,

There are some issues, such as clinical depression, that no amount of “trying to think positive” will fix. Those suffering from such conditions do have a hard time seeing beyond their depression, and nuance doesn’t exist. Their mind fixates on the negatives through no fault of their own.

These posts aren’t meant to apply to–and certainly aren’t meant to shame–those who suffer from such conditions. In those cases, it’s unfortunately normal to not be able to Pollyanna ourselves out of our feelings. So the inability to do so shouldn’t be seen as a failure.

Thank you for bringing up this important exception to the “happiness is a choice” idea. I hope anyone who reads this post and recognizes that they struggle to view any aspect of life in a positive way sees this not as a chastising article but as a heads up that help might be needed to put themselves onto a healthier mental path. It’s not our fault if we’re incapable of focusing on the good things. Sometimes external assistance is needed.

*hugs* Thanks for the comment!

Jennifer Rose June 3, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Great blog post. It’s definitely helpful to be aware that there will be challenges in whatever work you do – whether it is your current job, or your ‘dream’ job. The difficulties will just be different. Because, essentially, YOU are still the same person -just with different surroundings and experiences.

There is great power in realizing there is ultimately a choice in what you do with your thoughts. This is never an overnight experience and there are plenty of books to study on the subject to help one down their path to inner peace, but the PURE AWARENESS that the choice is out there is very powerful.

For sure, this is a short existence as a human and I aim to make the most of it! 🙂

Jami Gold June 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Very true! As Buckeroo Banzai said, “No matter where you go, there you are.” 😉 Our baggage will follow us everywhere. Thanks for the comment!