Thousands of New York Times bestselling authors and newbie writers alike credit Jami Gold’s worksheets for getting their stories into shape. In fact, Jami’s Romance Beat Sheet has been downloaded over 60,000 times!
Why is the Romance Beat Sheet so popular?
Romances are complicated—more complicated than other genres. Romance stories include multiple protagonists, an external plot arc, two (or more) internal character arcs, and a romance arc (the growth of the relationship over the course of the story). The Romance Beat Sheet can bring those elements together and help us develop our romance arc on a deeper level.
But how do we use the Romance Beat Sheet?
This workshop by Jami Gold covers all aspects of how to use her worksheet, from explaining the basics to exploring how to intertwine our plot and character arcs with our romance arc. By understanding romance-specific story structure and beats, we can improve our storytelling—whether we plot our stories in advance or write by the seat of our pants.
By the end of this class, students at all skill levels will know how to use the Romance Beat Sheet to create stronger stories with deeper romance arcs. Attendees will also receive a mini-ebook-style handout with more information.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to story arcs, beats, 3-act structure, and terminology
- Introduction to beat sheets
- Understanding the elements that make up our characters’ arcs
- Digging into the Romance Beat Sheet:
- What should happen at each beat?
- What do the questions on the Romance Beat Sheet mean?
- How do plot events affect the romance arc?
- How can we make our character arcs more compelling in a romance?
- How can we make our romance arc deeper?
P.S. Don’t have Jami’s Romance Beat Sheet yet? Grab it here:
- Click to download Jami Gold’s Romance Beat Sheet – Excel ’07/10 version (.xlsx)
- Click to download Jami Gold’s Romance Beat Sheet – Excel earlier version (.xls)
Join Jami in this New Workshop!
This workshop will be a LIVE class:
- Thursday, October 24th, 9 p.m. Eastern (New York) time/6 p.m. Pacific time
This workshop includes a live/recorded webinar and a thorough handout:
- LIVE date: Thursday, October 24th, 9 p.m. Eastern (New York) time/6 p.m. Pacific time
The webinar runs approximately 2 hours and will be recorded so you can view it later on your schedule, right from your internet browser (best viewed in Firefox or Chrome). Watch the presentation as many times as you want. The recording includes all elements of the webinar (audio, video, chat, slides, etc.). The presentation is fully bookmarked so you can jump to the section of the recording you need when you have questions.
- The mini-ebook-style handout includes more information and tips on romance-specific story structure, beat sheets, and character arcs. This workshop is designed to help writers of all skill levels learn the structure of romance stories from the ground up.
Despite her love of story structure, Jami Gold doesn’t plot her stories in advance—not even the book that won the National Readers’ Choice Award. A popular blogger (named one of the 100 Best Websites for Writers), Jami has an eclectic background beyond writing that also includes teaching and public speaking.
100% of survey respondents agree: They’d take another of Jami’s classes and would recommend her workshops to their friends. Click here to read comments from Jami’s previous students.
Note: If you’ve taken Jami’s more advanced story structure workshop, “Lost Your Pants? The Impatient Writer’s Guide to Plotting a Story,” check your email for a discount code on this class!